What could be the reasons for having periods twice in a month for a person on birth control?

Im on orth tri cyclen lo, I never had irregular periods till now Ive been on the bc since august but this month & in November I had two peroids in rhe same month, all the other months have been regular. This is the second period this month , been bleeding for 7 days & now its dark brownish stringy discharge. What is going on?
Wed, 12 Feb 2014
There are several possibilities. The most common reason for having an unexpected episode of bleeding while you are on the pills is that you may have forgotten to take some pills. This would cause bleeding due to withdrawal. However, if you have been taking the pills every day, then sometimes it could be cause by another medicine that you may have taken such as an antibiotic, which could make the birth control less effective, and you can have breakthrough bleeding. If none of these are the case, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching to a slightly higher dose medicine like regular ortho tricyclen, as some women need that in order to better control their periods. I hope this was helpful, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.