What could be the reason of bleeding in areola ? There is no lump and it doesn't hurt

My mom is 50, last week her areola starting lightly bleeding (1-2 spots) when hugged. It happened again this week with a light hug. Her doctor has never seen this before and doesn t know what it could be. She says it doesn t hurt, but is a little tender to the touch and she does not feel any lumps. She s very worried it s cancer , but it doesn t run in our family. Could it be a blocked duct, related to menopause, or something other than cancer?
Thu, 19 May 2011