What could be the reason of a swollen aching ankles without any trauma or pregnancy ?

I have swollen ankles. It started about 5 weeks ago for no apparent reason (no trauma at all). They have been swollen the whole time, a little better in the mornings but still not normal. The right ankle is currently very hot, and feels like it is bruised. It also feels like it is bruised along my toes. I went to the doctor , main blood concerns returned as normal. Have been wearing compression socks for four days, but no improvement. As soon as I took it off huge swelling and very hot in my right ankle again. Am getting tingling in feet and occassionaly hands. Help!
Thu, 12 May 2011