Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

What could be the cause and treatment for reddish floater with discomfort in the eye of a diabetic ?

I was recently diagnosed - officially - as a Type II diabetic. Since then (July 2011) I have been focused and managed myself very well. Typical fasting a.m. glucose is 95 - 115, and evening 2-3 hours post prandial is 110 - 125. While getting glasses fitted/prescribed in January a retinal scan showed my retinas were perfect - no sign of any problems per the physician. Today I moved an extremely heavy sack of trash (many magazines and paperback books) down our stairway and into the garage. I immediately noticed a floater - a seemingly red colored floater. I also noticed many spots. I am trained as a Clinical Lab Scientists and I know red blood cells (RBC s) when I see them. I was able to alter my focus onto the tiny floating spots and realized I was looking at many RBC s. I realized that I must have strained so significantly to move the heavy trash bag that I ruptured a blood vessel in my retina. The reddish floater remains now 10 hours later - I know it may not be absorbed by my body if the bleed was into the vitreous. My concern is that the floater is just up and to the right of my straight ahead macular vision . If the macula was the center point of a clock where the hand of the clock are connected, my floater is at about 1:00 on the theoretical clock face. I also feel a bit of discomfort in the eye - pressure most likely. Should I go straight to an Opthamologist tomorrow morning or am I over-reacting to this event based on my previous, perfect retinal scan?
Asked On : Thu, 5 Apr 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello rrlanning. Thanks for visiting Floaters are a concern in anyone and especially in a diabetic after a possible traumatic event (the straining). I would advise that you go see an ophthamologist as soon as you can, if you already have a working relationship with an ophthamologist they would hopefully be able to see you tomorrow.

If you get severe pain in your eye or other symptoms overnight, I would advise going to the emergency room for evaluation as this could be an emergent condition.

Be well, Dr. Kimberly
Answered: Thu, 5 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Diabetologist Dr. Amit Rajput's  Response
Hello rrlanning,

You must get yourself checked by an ophthalmologist again.

Answered: Thu, 5 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor