Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What could be the cause and remedy for severe rectal pain, abdominal cramps with diarrhoea in a pregnant ?

Hi. I am 28 weeks pregnant and woke up with severe pain in my rectum and lower abdominal cramps . The pains come in waves especially when Im standing or walking. It hurts when going from standing to sitting but once I am sitting down the pain slowly subsides. I have had 4 bowel movements today already, with the last time being diahorrea. My midwife reckoned this morning I have maybe just been over doing it and to take it easy but after 4 hours of rest so far it doesn t seem to be getting any better. Can you please help?
Asked On : Mon, 23 Apr 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  476
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
OBGYN 's  Response
May 2013

According to your symptoms chances are,

1. Your are having diarrhea which is leading to abdominal pain and bowel movements.

2. If you are not sure of your dates and your pregnancy is younger than what you are expecting chances of ectopic pregnancy is there.

3. Chances of miscarriage is there according to your findings if you had little spotting or bleeding from vagina.

4. Chances of scar dehisence is there in case of prior cesarean section.
5. Chances of surgical complications of pregnancy like appendicitis are there.

Any of the above conditions is dangerous during pregnancy. So, better immediately visit your gynecologist and get checkup done inducing with ultrasound examination.

thank you
Answered: Mon, 23 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari's  Response
Hi Katie,
Labor pains start in around abdomen and pass towards groin. Pains slowly increase in frequency as well as in severity.
As you have pain but do not look like labor pains.
Keep check on fetal movements. If any time you feel fetal movements have reduced or sluggish, contact gynecologist. USG will help to find out condition of baby.
Remain well hydrated, eat well.
Take care.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Answered: Mon, 23 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor