What causes water retention in the body?

Hi, can I answer your health question? Please type your question here... what causes swelling or water retention in the body, I have already been checked for adult diabetes and also my cholesterol, that are both low. I am 66 years old never any major health issues my whole life.
Sat, 23 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Actually kidney /liver problems or anemia causes water retention if we see the body mechanism. Now, in your case I suggest you to do a renal function test and blood pressure measurement, serum protein level and a CBC. This will help us to know the exact cause of water retention in your case. Follow up the reports.M And measure your 24 hr urine output. Your water intake and urine output should be same in case you have swelling over your lower limbs.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.