• question-icon

What causes vaginal discharge during pregnancy while taking Macrobid tablets?

My daughter (26) is just shy of being 6 months pregnant....she is experiencing kidney stone issues. Within the last 72 hours she ended up having a stent put in and they plan to leave it there until after the baby is born. She is on the antibiotic Macrobid and I was helping her look up information on this medication. She experienced an unusual discharge (vaginal) this morning - no pain, no blood...no cramps etc. Just a discharge she hasn t seen before and she called me to ask if I thought that was normal. (She is at work) so I looked it up and see that it is possible to have a vaginal discharge while taking macrobid. Question is - without pain, blood, cramps or anything - should she call her OB about the discharge or since she is taking the medication Macrobid and it says vaginal discharge is possible.....should she just see if she continues with this discharge. I also noticed it said not to take this medication while nursing and not to take it during the last 2-4 weeks of pregnancy. THAT bothers me - why is it safe for the baby NOW but not in the last few weeks of pregnancy?? Thanks
Tue, 29 Mar 2016
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

Macrobid or nitrofurantoin is the recommended antibiotic for Urinary tract infections in pregnancy except after 38 weeks as it can cause a rare type of blood disorder called haemolytic anemia in the baby.

It is safe in the remainder of pregnancy and is Category B ( that is proven to be not harmful).

It is secreated in breast milk which is why its not prescribed to breast feeding mothers.

If she has discharge she should get examined by an obstetrician as vaginal infection can occur in pregnancy and these need to be treated promptly to avoid preterm delivery.

Hope this helps.
Regards.