What causes throat discomfort while on Metoprolol?

I am asking for someone...he is experiencing some discomfort in his throat. Kind of like a sore throat It is not effecting his swallowing. He does take metoprolol for high blood pressure. We have read metoprolol will give you a soar throat. Does he need to go to the ER?
Fri, 15 Mar 2019

Metoprolol may not cause a sore throat. I've not observed even a single case for ten years.

But it may cause breathing difficulty or cough or allergy or aggravate asthma.

The present problem may be due to viral or bacterial pharyngitis. Please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Penchila Prasad Kandikattu , Internal Medicine Specialist