What causes swollen lymph glands in the neck?

Hi, I am 30 years old and I have a enlarged lymphnodes on my right side of neck that has been there for 3 months. 2 weeks ago I noticed 2 more on my left side by my collar bone. I also have 3 in my groin area on the right side. I went to the Dr and she said these were normal and I can feel them because I am thin. She was very rude but ordered blood work that was normal. So I then insisted that she try something else. She ordered an ultrasound on the biggest one on the right side (1.5 inch). My question is will an ultrasound even show if there is something abnormal? I am otherwise healthy except lately iv been having an odd burning feeling in my lower abdomen. It lasts about 30 min then goes away. It s happened 4x in the last 2 weeks. Thank ypu!
Tue, 23 Jul 2019

Swollen lymph nodes in the neck area are commonly seen and in most cases, if there are no other symptoms, it doesn’t indicate any disease.

However if there are additional symptoms such as fever, rapid growth of node, cough, weight loss or excessive swelling then this may be something pathological and require treatment.

In these cases, it is most commonly caused by some sort of infection.

The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is an infection, particularly a viral infection, such as the common cold.

Other possible causes of swollen lymph nodes include:Strep throat, Measles, Ear infections, Infected (abscessed) tooth, Mononucleosis. Mononucelosis is commonest along the young people and this should be ruled out first.

Then it can be treated with antibiotics or other medications depending on established cause. He should drink more fluids, take ibuprofeum and rest as much as possible till symptoms persist.

In doubtful cases, lymph node biopsy can be taken but I don’t think this is necessary at this point.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon