What causes swelling on the feet while suffering from hypertension?

my 81 year old mom is suffering with feet swelling, largely on the top of her feet. She is border line diabetic also has high blood pressure and gait. We put on her compression socks sometimes but this week it does not seem to help... what can we do?
Tue, 23 May 2017
Hello! Thank you for using HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your questionand i understand your concern.
I would recommend to go the local doctor ( better cardiologist ) to do some blood test ,check her kidney function and monitor the blood pressure .He / She will prescribe medication( add some new ones ) according to the result of the examiantions(possible diuretics to help the edema ) .
Meanwile avoid salt intake in the diet .
Take Care !