What causes swelling in the ankles and a painful red sore behind the calf?

My husband is 59, has swollen ankles, sore, stiff, the lat 2 days, 2 red spot on the back of one calf sore to the touch. On the other leg ankle and calf, he has what looks like a rash. did a touch thermometer test on the rash leg. 103 degrees. head is 101.9, other leg at 102. He has gone to urgent care. ideas? blood clot? He is about 30 lbs overweight. non smoker.
Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The swelling and sore can be related to a poor blood supply or neuropathy in the area due to atherosclerosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Praveen Tayal