What causes swelling in scrotum after removal of large testicular cyst?

I had a large testicular cyst removed via my left inguinal canal 10 days ago and am still experiencing significant swelling in my left scrotum. It appears blood is collecting there via an ultrasound last Thursday. My doctor says this is normal post-operative swelling but my left testicle is now the size of a small grapefruit. I also question the inguinal canal technique rather than direct excision via the scrotum that appears to have excessively traumatized my testicle. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Mon, 30 Nov 2015