What causes sudden cold and soreness in the chest?

I had a cold last Thursday, I was sneezing and sneezing my head off, the next day, the right side of my chest hurt in the rib area and its like sore...everytime I touch it, it hurts. not horribly bad but its like touching a fresh bruise. what could have happened?
Mon, 11 Apr 2016
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you have symptoms of sudden cold and soreness in the chest which is because due to streptococcal infection leading to strep throat and it could be due to sinusitis/ tonsillitis. I would suggest you to take antibiotics like Amoxicillin for 5 days. Gargle with an antimicrobial mouthwash such as listerine. Taking steam will be very helpful . Also apply warm compresses on chest . Avoid spicy, hot and sharp food substances. You should take anti-inflammatory painkiller Ibuprofen for relief from pain and inflammation. Chew a Vitamin C pellet daily. Do warm saline gargles. You should avoid cold carbonated beverages. Visit ENT specialist once and get throat culture and sputum test done to find out exact cause and start treatment accordingly. Avoid cold carbonated beverages.

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Get Well Soon.

Best wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari