• question-icon

What causes strong urine odour in a person with liver fibrosis?

Since I had a mesh hernia op, and after ejaculation, my wee smells strongly of fish. It last for about two days then stops. I also have fibrosis of the liver caused by tainted blood and Hep C infection diagnosed 5-years ago and following anti viral course I am viral free. I am 70 years of age.
Wed, 24 May 2017
Hi, I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.

In most cases this is sign of uroinfection and liver fibrosis may contribute to increased risk of uroinfection. Also, dark urine may be sign of more severe liver disorder such as cirrhosis or liver failure. IF this continues you should do urine analysis, urinoculture and kidneys ultrasound to rule these main causes out. You should drink raspberry tea and plenty of water till you do tests. Hep C should not be related to your urine symptoms but as I said it may contribute indirectly as a cause of liver failure.

Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.