What causes soreness in tongue?

Hi, my tongue for the last 3 days now has felt burnt, although I have not had any hot food or burnt my tongue on anything. Just today (3rd day) my tongue, mainly the tip and edges of my tongue are very red and have little dots, it s becoming really irritated and sore especially when I eat.
Thu, 23 Apr 2015
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Thanksforyourquery. I have gone through your query.
The soreness over the tongue can be because of the trauma caused by the teeth or it can be secondary to herpetic virus infection. Nothing to be panic, consult a oral physician and get it evaluated. Mean while you can use topical anesthetic like lignocaine and topical analgesic like choline salicylate. Do saline gargling. I hope I have answeredyour query. Take care.