What causes sore throat followed by vomiting and fluctuating body temperature?

My grandson is out of state, but has these symptoms. It started with a sore throat about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It seems to have moved to his ear (He did get some meds from a clinic during the week, but it doesn t seem to have helped.) He says he has no balance and feels sick all the time. He has vomited some and has run a temp off and on. He thinks he will have someone take him to a doctor tomorrow. I am wondering what this could be and if he should head to an emergency room tonight.
Wed, 15 Sep 2021

Your grandson has symptoms of sore throat, had vomited and is febrile off and on. He should gargle with lukewarm salt water, 2-3 times a day for relief. He should take a swab test, throat culture and get clinically examined by an ENT. In the meantime, he can take a course of Azithromycin and analgesic, one stat when needed to get relief from fever and pain throat. He should talk less and give his throat rest. Take liquid food or semi solid food so that his throat is not irritated and so that he stops throwing out.

He is suggested to stay well hydrated to supplement sodium-potassium balance so that his vitals are normal and he is not dizzy. Dizziness also occurs due to low blood pressure, low blood glucose, dehydration and exhaustion. Other medical causes for loss of balance is Vestibular problems, like vertigo. He should get examined by an audiologist as well as ENT. He will be treated with medicines or surgery if required.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K., General & Family Physician