What causes sore gums?

My gums were sore yesterday and today I have small white spots on the gums of two of my back teeth. I also have had shooting pain on the same side of my head today near my ear. It comes and goes. Any ideas of what is going on and are the two related?
Thu, 18 Dec 2014
Dentist, Pedodontics 's  Response
Hello, it cannot be suggested as what could have caused your problem. It may be because of tooth or gum disease. In addition you also have complains of headache which could actually be a referred pain due to the offending tooth problem. Please visit a dentist as soon as possible..hope you get well soon.