What causes soft and brittle nails?

I am 57 year old male. Noticing some changes in my fingernails. Softer than normal more easily ripped, etc. slight varitions in nail bed, small ripples in a couple. I am a construction supervisor but use my hands often in the field. I am otherwise in pretty good health. No meds, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, etc. a little heavy at 204 and 5-10 but getting exercise daily. Any thoughts for me to investigate.
Wed, 27 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It might be a candidal intertrigo. You can use antifungal creams but you also need an oral antifungal therapy like Fluconazole. Use a Clotrimazole powder in the groin area and medial aspect of thighs after bath. This will reduce the friction and itching due to sweat accumulation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.