What causes shortness of breath and weakness in the legs?

I am having weakness in my legs and shortness of breath, more every day....I am 79 yrs, female and I have gained weight recently, I am on many meds for quite a long time.....just getting concerned with shortness of breath....have lots of work I need to do......
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

To be honest, shortness of breath should be taken a bit seriously, specially if you are already on many drugs. in such patients we are already concerned to rule chronic heart and lung problems that can cause shortness of breath. So I would advice you to talk to your doctor. He may need an X-ray ECG and echo to see if there are any problems related to the heart or the lungs. Other causes for it may be low HB or sometimes hypothyroidism, that should also be checked if needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.