What causes sharp pain in the pelvic area?

Hello, I am a female, 53 years old. I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago. Now I have sharp pain (like a knife or needles being pricked in this area) in the pelvic area. It hurts more when I hold my urine before going to the restroom. I already visited my doctor. She tested my urine, and I don t have UTI. What can I do to relieve my pain.
Tue, 6 Mar 2018
Hello! Welcome to HealthcareMagic!

Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. The excruciating pain in pelvis while holding urine. In absence of any infection, can be due to muscle spasm of the muscles of urethral meatus & urinary bladder.This is possible due to involvement of -bladder having stone entrapped in cavity & pressing over the meatus while holding urine forcefully. - Problems of lower lumber or upper sachral vertebral or disc problem. Causing compression on nerve supplying the regions. You need investigations in this directions (MRI).

Thank you for contacting us. Hope this clarifies your concerns.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale, General & Family Physician