What causes shallow breathing and shortness of breath?

Have suffered from shallow breathing and shortness of breath with activity or bending forward. Wednesday had an endoscopy that showed a small hiatal hernia which, with the GERD I ve also recently been diagnosed with, could be contributing to the breathing difficulties. If it is not necessary to operate on a small hiatal hernia, How can this situation be improved so that my quality of life is better?
Mon, 11 Sep 2017
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Small hiatal hernia can cause shallow breathing and shortness of breath.
You should try below mentioned lifestyle modifications to avoid surgery.
1. Avoid hot and spicy food. Avoid junk food.
2. Avoid large meals, instead take frequent small meals.
3. Take combination of pantoprazole and levosulperide twice daily before food.
4. Avoid stress and tension, be relax and calm.
5. Avoid smoking and alcohol if you have these habits.
6. Keep 2-3 pillows under head in bed. Go for walking after meals.
Follow all these for 1 month. If you are not improving then surgery should be done.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.