What causes severe pain in left calf after walking?

46 year old female, resting heart rate 100, BP 132/96, obese, hypothyroid What can I do for severe pain after walking only 15 minutes? Pain is only on the outer side of the left calf. I thought it was the same as the leg cramps / shin splints associated with hypothyroid, but this feels different and is only in the left leg.
Thu, 5 Dec 2019
Cardiologist 's  Response

It is important performing some tests in order to investigate for the possible causes underlying your complaints (a blocked artery, varicose veins or a pinched nerve).

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests:

- a lumbar spine X-ray study
- nerve conduction studies
- a Doppler ultrasound of the leg arteries and veins
- uric acid plasma levels
- inflammation tests (complete blood count, PCR, ESR).

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist