What causes severe hiccups after a colon surgery?

. Hi I have a important question. My friend had a colon surgery & they removed a mast & he has a colon bag. He has been Hiccupping for the past 4 days none stop. What is causing the problem & what can the doctors proscribe for him to Stop????? They have been trying different things and they will not stop & he can hardly talk without Hiccupping?????? Please reply!!!!
Wed, 6 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Continue hiccup could be due irritation of diaphragm, and the most common cause of it is hyperacidity and it can be managed with antacid that have the local anesthetic effect, beside this it can be neurological in origin and in such cases surgery is the option, there can be numbers of reason for the hiccup, and all that needs to be differentiated, because underlying cause of this is matters.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.