What causes severe cough with swollen glands?

I have had a dry, hacking cough for a week. It produced rather violent coughing from the diaphram and also from the throat which became sore with an injured feeling and swollen glands. I lost my voice for about a day or so, and then recovered it. My right eye produced goop and was watery and pink. It all seemed to be a virus, but is not slowing down. After about 3-4 days of the pinkeye it began to show signs of transferring to the left eye despite care to not transfer it. This was mild and appeared to be following the course of a virus as described online. Sinuses have remained clear & breathing is easy, so it doesn t have the characteristics of a cold. I have taken Robitussin Max which did help. I thought I was getting better, but after stopping this medication the cough remains, and I occasionally do cough up phlem from deep in the lungs/diaphram/stomach. The globs are a pearlish/grayish color and rather small. However, each time this occurs it seems to re-injur the throat and causes pain in the swollen glands. The pinkeye has subsided. I m still wondering if this is all viral or bacterial and if I should be going for an antibiotic. My daughter-in-law has been battling this nearly same problem for over a month. She did not have the pinkeye, but did get an ear infection out of it. No strep infection was found, but she finally went on an antibiotic. However, she continues to feel those painful golf balls in her throat just like me. Her mother was just released from the hospital with pneumonia and is on oxygen. Her 5 year old son is having increased breathing problems at night. Do we all have some super-bug ?
Fri, 11 Jun 2021

The commonest causes can be one of the following with ways to know to the cause so that a specific treatment can be done.
- The best way is to have proper clinical evaluation by an ENT Surgeon.
- Relevant investigations as per the primary cause found, say for example tests of blood will show whether the white cell count is raised or reduced. The raised count is indicative of a bacterial infection and hence requires a proper course of an antibiotic.
- X-rays of Chest and sinuses and if there is any positive finding then CT scan to confirm. This helps for proper additional treatment to be started. Say, nasal and oral decongestant, anti-inflammatory, steroids as would be advised by your Specialist.
- Same things apply for your daughter in law, get her checked the same way and have an appropriate management.
- Treatment for symptomatic and supportive roles like steam inhalation, multivitamins, bed rest, avoidance of any factors, foods that increase or instigate the symptoms.
- Avoid extreme whether/temperature changes.
- Complete the courses of all medicines till cured.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon