What causes severe backache upon standing?

My lower back is fine as long as I am standing, moving around, etc. But after I ve been sitting awhile and try to get up, my back hurts so badly that it takes me a minute or two to stand up straight. I am 86 years old and unable to be on my feet for long periods of time. I try exercising my legs a couple of times a day, hoping that might help. This has been going on for a week, so would be very happy to be reassured that it will probably be okay. I ve had similar problems with my back since my 20 s occasionally, but it usually cleared up sooner. This started the day after my 17 lb, dog was given anesthesia (sp) for his teeth cleaning, and when I picked him up at the vet, he was so drowsy and unhappy that I carried him into the house when we got home.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed rest with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.
2) Alternate hot water bottle or ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.
4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.