What causes severe anxiety at night?

I have anxiety attacks which are worse at night. I can t sleep more than an hour or two at a time, and I feel impending doom , especially if I lay down. It seems somewhat better when I sit up. It also feels like I can t have a complete bowel movement. I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom, but when I get there it doesn t happen, or only partially and it feels like it s not empty. I do take hydrocodone. My doctor gave me hydroxyzine to help me sleep but I am a fraud to take it, the side effects sound really bad and I am 69 years old. What can be causing these problems?
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The symptoms like feeling of impending doom, altered bowel movements and feelings of incomplete evacuation, restlessness etc are symptoms of anxiety only. If the symptoms are bothering you then please visit your doctor for reevaluation. Hydroxyzine can help in reducing the anxiety symptoms but if the medicine is not controlling the symptoms then there is need to get proper anti anxiety drugs. SSRIs can help to reduce the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.