What causes rectal drainage after a colostomy?

After colostomy, in certain cases, a tube with a small bag is inserted in the rectum to allow some kind of drainage. The amount of drainage is supposed to decrease each day but in my brother s case has been increasing. Would this indicate there is a problem? YYYY@YYYY
Wed, 31 May 2017

I understand your concern.

When having colostomy, the anus and rectum are intact. They keep producing by the line of bowels to help the passage of the stool. This explains why he is having rectal drainage.

As the amount of discharge is being increased, changes in his diet are recommended. Sometimes inserting glycerin suppositories per rectum can help.

Consult his physician for further evaluation if these changes won't work for your brother.

Wish fast recovery.