• question-icon

What causes rapid weight loss and frequent urination?

I am 48 and working as Science Teacher . I am enjoying a good health. But for the last few day i was feeling that i am suffering from diabetes. The symptoms were, pain in legs, frequent urination, thirst and appetite. Sugar test at random showed it is 130 the doctor said it is normal nor problem. But today i weighed and found that i have 6 kg less weight. Please tell me what are the other reasons of frequent weight loss. Thanks.
Tue, 3 Jan 2017
Hematologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You have a history of rapid weight loss and excessive thirst and appetite. Your blood sugar is normal. So you may have hyperthyroidism. You should check your T3, T4 and TSH level and take treatment accordingly. You should also go for urine routine and microscopic examination to rule out urinary tract infection.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer.

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi