• question-icon

What causes rapid heart beat?

My heart goes really fast when I think of it going fast, like 150 to 190bpm. I was told that adrenaline and cortisol get released when you fear and the flight fight mode is being activated by the mind which in turn speeds up the heart. How come I fear my heart going fast then it does? I mean I didn t think I would have thought control over a heart. I can think or tell my heart to go 60 but it s not going to go and do what I say or think. So is this just a part of a panic attack? I have been checked out left and right including stress test(s), halter monitors, thyroid and adrenals were checked and I my doctor also checked just about every blood test available. If I am ok...then why all the fast heart beats? Thank you for your time. ~ Tommy
Wed, 29 May 2019
Cardiologist 's  Response

I would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to anxiety. This is a quite normal physiological reaction to anxiety or physical activity.

The fact that you are focused on it, means that you are a sensitive person. But, it doesn't mean that you are ill.

I would just recommend practicing Yoga and regular physical activity.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist