• question-icon

What causes random rapid heart beat along with shortness of breath?

Why do I have a random rapid heart beat? I'm 23 years old, 6'0'' 200lbs and never had any serious medical problems. I had asthma when I was young, but haven't had any asthma symptoms for years. The random rapid heart beats are accompanied by shortness of breath and a dizzy/faint feeling. Should I be worried?
Mon, 14 Mar 2016
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello and thank you for using HCM.
I carefully read you question and I understand your concern.I will try to explain you something.

There are different reasons that might cause increased, rapid heart beats.
If your rhythm is regular, not chaotic but just fast maybe we are dealing with a simple sinus tachycardia. This means that your heart is beating over 100 beat for minute.
If the rhythm is fast, rapid and chaotic it might be another kind of arrhythmia.
This rhythm issues might have different causes. Simple physical or emotional stress, caffeine products might cause increased heart frequency so its mandatory to avoid them.

All sow, there are different pathology's like anemia, thyroid gland problems like hyperthyroidism that might be the cause of fast heart beats. Your asthma history is not related with this symptoms.

When you experience a high frequency, it might be normal to experience palpitation,chest discomfort, dizziness and difficult in breathing deeply.

If these frequencies are interfering in your normal daily live, If I was your treating doctor I will recommend some simple examinations.

I will recommend an electrocardiogram, a cardiac echocardiography and of course a rhythm holter monitoring for 24 h. This is necessary to have a full view of your mean frequencies during day and night.

After these, a full blood chek up to exclude anemia or thyroid problems.
Doing this examinations helps us understand if it is necessary to treat this high frequencies or not.

Hope I was helpful. Wish you good health.
Best regards.