Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What causes radiating right sided pain from the jaw to the ear?

For about 2 weeks now, I ve been having a pain in the right side of my jaw that goes up to my ear, especially whenever I bite down on that side or move my jaw in a certain position. I don t know what it is but TMJ runs in my family and my mom thinks that is what it may be.
Asked On : Wed, 1 Feb 2017
Answers:  1 Views:  2
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain pain in jaw radiating to right side of ear especially on biting down and moving the jaw in certain positions is most probably due to disorders in the function of the jaw joint known as Temporomandibular joint dysfunction or TMJ/TMD..

For confirmation consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigation like Panoramic x ray can help in diagnosis and treatment can be done accordingly..

As of now you can take a combination of anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen and muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxasone..
You can take a soft diet and avoid excessive mouth opening..
Avoid stress as it can cause unintentional clenching of teeth leading to exaggeration of symptoms...

If TMJ is ruled out then you can be advised night guards, physiotherapy and a combination of painkiller and muscle relaxant..

Hope this information helps..

Answered: Wed, 8 Feb 2017
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor