What causes pus in the urine?

my mum is 65 she has just been told she has pus in her urine sample she did. The GP said it could be from kidney damage or possibly a tumor he has referred her to a specialist is this that serious? what do you think the cause could be, she also has a prolapse of the vagina.
Wed, 30 Jul 2014
Radiologist 's  Response
Hello
Thanks for writing to HCM

Pus cells in urine may be due to many reasons like UTI(urinary tract infection), kidney calculus,infection etc.
She need few more investigations like routine hemogram,Renal function test,Urine culture and sensitivity and Ultrasound of abdomen. Further investigations can be done if needed.
Ultrasound is very important for screening.
At present she need proper antibiotics after culture and sensitivity report.
She also need clinical correlation.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.

Take Care
Dr.Indu Bhushan