What causes purple discoloration in the corners of the eyes?

Hi. I just rubbed the inside corners of my eyes. All of a sudden I noticed they were purple like I got his. even where my glasses rest on my nose look bruised but not purple more redish slight purple. What could cause this. I have been under a lot of pain with my back not being able to sleep well the last couple of days. Also I wear my readers more than I should. Maybe strain. Not sure if this helps you. Thanks
Tue, 31 Jul 2018
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Most probably it is because of your rubbing your eyes. Use some artificial tear eye drops they provide relief to eyes.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Harshita