Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
129 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes prolonged stress while suffering from diabetes?

I am 66 years old, diabetic, obese, underactive and have had prolonged stress issues. Several days ago I had an extremely upsetting run in with a furniture business person. Since then I have developed extreme agitation, little to no tolerance and over exaggerated frustration with the smallest issues. I have intermittent tightness in the mid chest. Is it anxiety or my old bi-poliar symptoms returning after 12 years or signs of an impending heart attack?
Wed, 8 Apr 2015
Report Abuse
Psychiatrist 's  Response

I understand your concern.

Diabetes usually associated with psychological illness. Psychological illness is twise common among diabetes patients.

Anxiety stress and depression are common.

Medicines like SSRI can be useful to reduce stress /agitation /anxiety.

Low dose benzodiazapine like etizolam and lorazepam can be useful.

Detail psychological evaluation is necessary for proper diagnosis and selection of treatment.

Proper control for diabetes and exercise can be useful.

Behaviour modification with life style changes can help.

Consult psychiatrist for further assistance.

Thank you. Get well soon.
I find this answer helpful
Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your details. You mean to say that you were bi-polar before 12 years. Have you ever been diagnosed for bi-polar? The current symptoms of chest tightness, frustration and anger could well be associated with anxiety. Your physical inactivity, diabetics and obesity adds more oil to the anxiety problem. You should consult your doctor for advise on the need of physical activities to control your diabetics and obesity. Secondly you should consult a psychologist for psychotherapy techniques for anxiety and related disorders. Take care.

If you require more of my help in this aspect, please use this URL. Make sure that you include every minute details possible.

Hope this answers your query. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have been having heart palpitations for the past two-three weeks. Yes, I am under a lot of stress and I am overweight with diabetes. I have...