What causes prolonged fever?

My husband, age 62, has been running a fever of 100 to 103.4 for 6 days. Bloodwork revealed nothing, no other symptoms. Md says virus, but I am worried since it has gone on so long. He has taken the drug Methotrexate for 15 plus years for Psoriatic arthritis.
Wed, 7 Sep 2016
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
**
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health concern

1. since fever is continuous and prolonged and as I'm unaware of the blood test which he has done thus see an infectious disease doctor who might go for detailed investigations like:
. Hb%, WBC,ESR,Peripheral smear [for malaria] & leukemia
. Urine: routine & microscopic/urine culture
. Widal test/Dengue test
. H.I.V. test
. Montoux test
. X- ray chest
. Weil's test [scrub typhus]
. ultrasonography of liver & abdomen
. blood culture if no source is detected

PS. It could be drug induced [methotrexate] signs of infection [fever/chills/ sore throat]

2. One has to find the cause of the fever by evaluating the associated symptoms