What causes pressure & cramps in rib joints?

Hi, I sometimes get a niggling discomfort/pressure in the area where my lower rib joins the sternum. This can also take the form of a cramp like pain when bending over. Can last for days sometimes. More discomfort than pain (unless it s the cramp type, then that is very painful! Ideas? Thank you.
Fri, 11 Jun 2021

You are experiencing pain and discomfort in the lower abdomen where the rib joins the sternum. Commonly such pain arises due to the inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. It can be due to trauma, muscle strain, poor sitting / standing / sleeping posture, spinal stenosis, spine issues, costochondritis, etc. You are suggested to avoid doing strenuous exercises or lifting heavy weight. Stay at rest and take hot bag to relieve pain.

Take acetaminophen or Combiflam, one SOS to get relief from pain and discomfort. Gentle massage with pain relieving ointment will help. Physical therapy is effective, you are recommended to do it. under a Physiotherapist. However, get clinically examined by a GP, get tests, investigations and imaging tests done, you will be treated accordingly.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K., General & Family Physician