What causes plugged ears and tinnitus while suffering from laryngitis?

I started with laryngitis which is now accompanied by a sometimes productive cough and a plugged ear that now has noise constantly. Also have headache and sinus ache. What is causing the ear problem? It s something I ve not had with sinusitis in the past.
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Plugged ears and tinnitus while suffering from laryngitis seems to be due to tinnitus which is due to wax accumulation, eustachian tube dysfunction and excessive ear infection. In your case it seems mainly Eustachian tube dysfunction as respiratory tract infection as caused pressure imbalance. You should avoid touching or pricking it with any sharp object and maintain hygiene of ear canal. Go for valsva maneuvers. I would suggest you to consult ENT specialist once and get it examined. Doctor may order certain test like CT scan, low and high pitched ringing to rule out conditions like hearing loss , exposure to loud noises, and earwax build-up. Apply warm compresses on ear. Put Otogesic ear drops.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.