What causes persistent throbbing and swelling in the ear post cholesteatoma surgery?

Hello, I had a surgery to remove cholesteatoma one week ago. A few questions: 1) There is constant (never stops) loud throbbing in my ear. How long will this last? 2) My ear is very swollen and sticks out much more than my other non operated ear. Will this go back to normal? If so, how long until it s back to normal? 3) I have no feeling (extreme numbness) at the top of my ear and behind the ear on my head. Will I get feeling back? If so, when? Thank you very much
Thu, 14 Feb 2019

Most probably it is due to local inflammation. As of now you can use analgesics/anti inflammatory combination like Aceclofenac/Seratiopeptdase for symptomatic relief.

If symptoms persist better to consult an ENT specialist and get evaluated,In severe cases a repeat CT may be useful.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shinas Hussain,