What causes persistent cough?

Hi doctor, my father is suffering from continuous cough.he had done test of sputum AFB and it shows negative. Also he took various kind of cough syrub but no improvement. But I want to inquire that how about if he have given chance to take deriphylline tablet. Will it be effective or not?
Fri, 31 Jan 2020
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

As per your query, your father have symptoms of persistent cough which is mainly because of lower respiratory tract infection and it could be due to granular pharyngitis.

Need not to worry about it. Visit pulmonologist once and get it examined. These symptoms normally take 3 days to go. If the cough is exaggerating go for chest X-ray, blood and sputum test. If it is bacterial infection start with a proper course of antibiotics. You can start with above mentioned medication under medical supervision Till then apply mist humidifiers in the room. Take proper rest without any discomfort. Take lukewarm water after every few mins.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Harry Maheshwari