What causes persistent chronic cough?

A relative, who lives in London, UK, has a chronic coughing problem that has initially been diagnosed as being caused by shrinking lungs. He is 73 and has had this condition for approximately one month. He is not a smoker, nor has he been knowingly exposed to asbestos during his lifetime. He is undergoing tests in London. Cancer has been ruled out. For the next few days he is on steroids. Do you have any thoughts on what types of reasons there could be for this to happen? Many thanks, Ken (Vancouver, Canada)
Wed, 12 Jun 2019
Ophthalmologist 's  Response

It could be just an inflammatory disease dear not necessarily cancer. steroids help in such a condition. A pulmonary function test can also be done to look at how much the lung is able to function.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Harshita, Ophthalmologist