• question-icon

What causes peeling of labia after a colposcopy with a biopsy?

hi, im a 21 year old female that tested positive for hpv and precancerous cervical cells. today at 9 am i had a colposcopy with a biopsy done and ever since then ive been very itchy and irritated a few minutes ago i checked myself to see what the problem was and labia minora near my vaginal opening was peeling. what do i do? and why is it doing this?!?!?! please help
Tue, 4 Feb 2014
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Irritation of the vaginal area can occur after this procedure, the peeling is due to irritation and inflammation of this area.This should resolve on its own within a week.

It is also possible to have a discharge for 4 to 6 weeks after this procedure, initially it would be bright red but would change as healing occurs. If a discharge occurs and is foul smelling then it is possible that there is an infection present that needs antibiotics.

I hope this helps