What causes painful red rashes on the chest, back and legs?

Hi! My husband has large dark red painful rashes developing on his skin,( chest, back, groin,and sometimes lower legs) whenever he has been outside for any length of time. He has had this develop each year in the spring and summer for the last 3 years. He has had this come on quite severely over the last week after supervising large energy development sites outdoors in wyoming. He gets some improvement from antibiotic creams and such, but if this remains like the previous 2 summers, he will deal with it till he is completely indoors again next winter. Any clues as to what is causing this, or if he should seek medical treatment? Thank you. YYYY@YYYY
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your husband seems to be severely allergic to the sun. This is called polymorphic light eruption. Firstly, he needs to regularly and strictly apply a broad spectrum sunscreen which provides protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Secondly, in case these rashes come up, he can apply cold compresses and soothing aloe vera gel to the area. It is also worth getting him reviewed by the concerned doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Smruti Pevekar