What causes painful lymph nodes under the jaw after a tonsillectomy?

Son is 8yo just had tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago due to painless hypertrophy and diffuse cervical lymphadenopathy. No infection was known; path just says lymphatic hyperplasia. Now he has two new painful lymph nodes under the jaw is this typical following tonsillectomy?!
Tue, 17 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It may be due to Infection to pharygs may lead to lymphadenopathy. Also rule out lymphomas or cytomegalovirus infection etc. Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. Need lymphnode biopsy, check for Peripheral smear of blood etc. Use antibiotics under your doctor guidance and get treated accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.