• question-icon

What causes pain under the rib cage extending to the abdomen?

Dear Doctor, I am 54 years old, 1.77metres tall and weigh 77kg. I have not really had any health problems except for light blood pressure (10mg Linisopril / day and use Symbicort inhaler - preventative - have not had serious asthma for 12 years). I have had pain on my RHS for about a month, just under the rib cage extending down to lower abdomen. Constant dull ache with occasional stabbing sensation. When I sit in a slight slouching position, the pain feels worse, as though there is a ball or something in there, or a pulled muscle. This morning, a bruise just appeared a hand s width from my navel (RHS). Should I see a doctor? Thanks Allan
Thu, 21 Nov 2019

Your symptoms can be related to many medical conditions. One of the possible cause can be a pulled muscle. Another possible cause can be gastritis which is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. I suggest using Acetaminophen to relieve the symptoms three times a day. I also suggest using a gastro protector such as Omeprazole 20 mg daily.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi