What causes pain on hip?

Yesterday I was at a track meetand noticed my hip really started to hurt. The side and a little of the front is swollen but it hurts really badly when I sit down. I also have referring pain to my back, hamstring, quad and inner thigh. Do you know what this could be?
Tue, 17 Jun 2014
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
The fact that your pain is occuring with movements indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain.

I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines -

* Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain
* Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area
* Moist heat application to relax the muscles
* Local application of muscle relaxant gel
* Analgesic medications as needed

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.