What causes pain in the trachea upon deep breathing?

Trachea is getting quite painful when taking deep breaths. Have had post nasal drip for week. Does not hurt to swallow, only breathing. Cough developed 3 days ago, always clearing phlegm in throat. Diagnosed with Afib recently. Can only sleep sitting up. Always hard to take deep breaths and nose is always stuffed up.
Tue, 17 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Here Laryngitis should be ruled out by indirect laryngoscopy examination.

Second as positive cardiac history present rule out cardiac failure by EKG investigation.

If needed further work up than chest X-ray can be done.

According to cause further management plan decided

Hope this will help you

Consult pulmonologoist for examination