What causes pain in the lower back and thigh of an elderly person?

Hello. My mother is 73, and she is in extensive lower back and bi-lateral upper thigh pain constantly. She is allergic to asprin and I know that Mobic (meloxicam) is an NSAID. I have some meloxicam from when I injured my IT band (illeo-tibial) last November. If I give her just a half tab of the meloxicam, would this hurt her? I m just so tired of watching her suffer. Her primary care dr. gave her an Rx for tylenol #3, norco, and dilaudid, but they don t seem to help. Her ESR and CR reaction protein tests are elevated indicative of inflammation somewhere, could it be involving her muscles? I just don t know what to do. Thank you.
Fri, 7 Dec 2018

Meloxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, which helps in relieving pain. You can give it to her safely (provided she is not allergic to the content) but give it with a glass of milk/after eating. Observe her for signs of allergy (itching, rash, difficulty in respiration) or pain in stomach and consult your family doctor if you find one.

*Her pain might be neurogenic. Get her limber spine X-rayed to exclude spinal or disc problem (if so she would need a specific drug for pain).

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale,