What causes pain in the left arm and neck?

I m 57 years old.always active. Woke up about a month ago with pain.My left arm and neck hurt,like I slept wrong. I don t sleep on my left side..I have a knot on top of my left shoulder, a good size. I ve tried different things.nothing is working. Last two days the pain is worse,a and I have numbness in my fingertips.I ve always had scrapes and bruses.Nothing like this.I do have my doctor..Your insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wed, 22 Aug 2018

You symptoms are pointing towards possibility of nerve root compression pain. We call it radicular pain. Nerve root compression in cervical spine is usually due to disc herniation which leads to shooting pain In entire limb. If not treated early tingling and numbness starts. Diagnosis needs to be confirmed by doing MRI of the cervical spine. MRI is very sensitive and specific for diagnosis of spine pathology. Meanwhile take pillow if small height while sleeping, Avoid jerky movements of neck and weight lifting. Start tab Pregalin x 75 mg one at bedtime to reduce pain. Visit to neurophysician for detailed clinical Examination is recommended.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.