What causes pain in the jaw and swelling on the face?

My husband has been having upper jaw pain (right side) for over a week and is experiencing swelling in his face (upper lip, cheeks, chin) for 2 days. A visit to the emergency room today inquiring about an allergic reaction revealed blood pressure of 162 over 119. I am concerned.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you have symptoms of pain in the jaw and swelling on the face which seems to be due to salivary gland condition known as sialadenitis.The swelling occurs due to bacterial or viral infection and could be allergic reaction as well.

Need not to worry. I would suggest you to consult oral surgeon once as sometimes it can lead to certain complication like spread of infection to surroundings. Doctor can order CT scan and MRI to detect that and may prescribe antibiotics for bacterial infection. For now what you can do is drink plenty of water. Apply warm compresses on affected area. Do warm saline rinses and gentle massage can also give relief.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari