What causes pain in left shoulder and arm?

Pain in left shoulder area but pain going down left arm unbearable. Already been to an ER. Not a heart attack. Been going on for about 3 weeks. The more I move my left arm around, the better it feels but after a nights sleep the pain is horrible. Like the worst cramps ever.
Sat, 6 Oct 2018
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

The location and movement of a pain give clues as to what is going on. Pain that shoots in the direction of a nerve often is due to a local injury of the nerve. In particular, the spine in the neck often produces pain going out from the neck, down the shoulder, and to the hand.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Matt Wachsman,
Addiction Medicine Specialist